Monday, June 8, 2009

Irving Nature Park



Yesterday evening I headed to the Irving Nature Park for a walk and saw this group of women on the beach taking advantage of the low tide for their work-out. I have seen this group on other occasions, usually inside the park. From what I have seen their work-outs look to be part of a training session for some event or another, or maybe it’s a fitness boot camp ….


Hold the Cheese, Please

While at the Irving Nature Park I had a chance to watch four of the six fox pups, (or kits if you like), playing near their den. They weren’t afraid of me, which is too bad; they’ve really become used to humans around them. However, mom gave me the evil eye. Unfortunately the object of their attention was the cheese flavored popcorn someone left for them.


I can guess cheese popcorn is no healthier for foxes than it is for humans. Apparently whoever left the popcorn missed the sign posted by park staff:


4 comments:

Alice Finnamore said...

By April 2010, all the small animals, like squirrels, rabbits, etc, had disappeared from the Irving Nature Park. A pair of foxes had been in balance with the rest of the ecosystem until people started to feed them. With plenty of food, they reproduced. Soon there were twenty foxes, which ate until there was nothing left. CBC reported that the adults then left, even abandoning their babies. I'm sure you've heard the story, but I thought it should be noted here.

Westside View said...

Thank you for commenting. I know I saw many people feeding the foxes who were becoming less and less timid of humans. I think the foxes are starting to come back. Saw a couple today in fact.

Alice Finnamore said...

What about the other animals? Are the squirrels and bunnies back?

Westside View said...

Yes, I have seen some.