Friday, August 27, 2010

Saint John's oldest wooden building

I noticed today that work has been happening on the Sewell House, on the corner of Duke and Ludlow.   It looks like some restoration is taking place.

I recall hearing may years ago that this house is the oldest wooden structure in Saint John.  Apparently it was built by Jonathan Sewell Jr., who was at one time the Attorney General of Massachusetts; he came to Saint John 1786. 

I have seen this house over the years fall into disrepair, and recently it was rocking vinyl siding - not a good thing for a building of historical significance.  So, if indeed it's being restored, it will be good news.
(Sept. 11, a lower west side friend tells me the siding was the original wood, I guess the condition of it looked like vinyl)

No comments: