Monday, January 16, 2012

Is no news better than good news?

I must admit I am disappointed that the canadaeast.com / Telegraph Journal online access is now quite pricey. I am a print edition subscriber, and the incentive to pay around 20 dollars per month to search online is not present. I understand that news is “business” and NB Publishing has to make money to be viable, but as a comparison, the NYTimes offers several options. The priciest is 35.00 per month for:
  • Unlimited access to NYTimes.com from any device.
  • Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for BlackBerry®, iPhone®, Windows® Phone 7 and Android™-powered phones.
  • Unlimited access to our new Election 2012 app for iPhone.
  • Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for iPad®, the NYTimes App for the Chrome Web Store and Times Reader 2.0.
  • New: Share your All Digital Access with a family member.
  • After the introductory period, your rate will be $8.75 per week, billed every four weeks.
They are offering an introductory trial for 99 cents for the first four weeks, this is a great idea to pull you in.  I don't even know what I am missing by not subscribing the the online edition of the TJ, haven't had a peek at the new version.

Significantly -  “Print subscribers to The New York Times get a free All Digital Access subscription.”  And there are discounts for university students. 

The jury is out on this one.

2 comments:

KnoppFamily said...

I am a print edition subscriber also, but because I am, I get free internet access to the new TJ site. But, after a few weeks using the new site, I am not that impressed so far. I liked the CanadaEast site more.

Anonymous said...

I discountied my home delivery subscription when this was implimented. I had no issue with charging for online content if one did not have a subscription, but to charge twice for the same content is the wrong move by the Telegraph Journal.

This is not the way to increase subscribers, which ultimately affects the ad rates.